st: spmap: Color missing-data areas with values interpolated across surrounding areas?

From   Jen Zhen <jenzhen99@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: spmap: Color missing-data areas with values interpolated across surrounding areas?
Date   Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:57:44 +0200

Dear list members,

I am using Maurizio Pisati's -spmap- to draw maps of different
municipalities and color the area of each municipality according to
the value of some continuous variable. Unfortunately there are some
areas for which I have the polygon data, but for which I do not have
data on the continuous variable. Therefore I would like to color the
no-data areas with the color corresponding to a value interpolated
across the respective municipality's surrounding areas. Is there any
option for this, which I have overlooked?

Otherwise, I think I first need to find, ideally automatically, for
each municipality all surrounding municipalities. Can anyone recommend
a way to do so?

Thanks very much!

JZ