Re: st: graph export png on Linux

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: graph export png on Linux
Date   Thu, 14 Jul 2011 12:53:14 +0100

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Oliver Jones
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have trouble exporting a graph to a png when runing a do-file on
> the Liunx console. This is what I type and the error message I get
>
> graph export mygraph.png, replace
> translator Graph2png not found
> r(111);
>

> This problem was mentioned on the list 7 years ago.
> See the following post:
>
> http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2004-03/msg00600.html
>
> The manual entry for -graph export- seem to remain unchanged.
> Is there a solution for this problem?

Don't use the console version instead run your script through xstata perhaps?

If its on a remote machine and you're ssh-ing in then it might be
possible to set up X11 forwarding to run xstata, but how you do this
would be heavily dependent on the system you are connecting from (if
its another Linux machine and the server with stata has xorg installed
then using the '-X' flag to 'ssh -X [email protected]'
enables X11 forwarding)

Alternatively you might want to try exporting to Encapsulated
postscript from the console version and then converting eps to png
using an external system tool (if its installed) such as imagemagick
as described at http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/epstool.htm

Neil

--
“Truth in science can be defined as the working hypothesis best suited
to open the way to the next better one.” - Konrad Lorenz

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://kimura.no-ip.org/