st: RE: mvprobit within program define

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: mvprobit within program define
Date   Thu, 7 Jul 2011 11:34:16 +0100

Daniel Klein gave very good advice.

In addition, I note that this program invokes a local macro -basic- which is never defined.

I guess that you misunderstand local macros. If local macro -basic- is defined somewhere else, that is quite immaterial. -NHreg- can't see it.

Zhi Su

  I need to define a program that can return the observations that are
used in multivariate probit model. Here is the program I write

  capture program drop NHreg
  program define NHreg,eclass
  mvprobit (T1=`basic') (T2=`basic') (T3=`basic') (T4=`basic'),robust
  ereturn scalar O=e(N)

  Then in stata I run written command
 Stata return " J():  3204  matrix found where scalar required
                 <istmt>:     -  function returned error
   Do anyone know what is wrong here?
   Thank you!