RE: st: panel data-dropping all observations for the identifier when certain variable value is missing

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   RE: st: panel data-dropping all observations for the identifier when certain variable value is missing
Date   Wed, 6 Jul 2011 13:06:10 +0100

I don't want to seem contrary but I think you are still misunderstanding Sabrina's question, which was, to repeat, about dropping panels, not observations as such.

I am not sure that I understand exactly what your larger question is. Many people want to know how to understand a lot of Stata, but very quickly. In terms of literature, my best answer is to study [U] intensely, but Stata is not a spectator sport. As you say, studying many examples carefully is the best way to become fluent.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Muhammad Anees

Dear Nick!

What I understood now from this discussion is that Sabrina needed to
drop only observations where date is less than a date in 2008 or any
specific year, and I mistakenly advised to sue _drop xvar if_ or _keep
xvar if_    pair of commands which will drop some variables instead of
observations.

I would appreciate further any idea which might help to learn Stata
and to develop a hand on selecting specific command/code/progrmming
will be most suitable to use in such short times. My guess is to use
Stata intensively for data manipulations and note what is going on in
what circumstances on exemplary data.

Lastly my intent was not misleading the list member at all.

Anees