Re: st: Get actual file name

From   Phil Schumm <>
Subject   Re: st: Get actual file name
Date   Wed, 6 Jul 2011 07:06:42 -0500

On Jul 5, 2011, at 4:36 AM, Renger van Nieuwkoop wrote:
> I now have the following in all my do-files where the first line changes accordingly (OBSAN_Data is in this case the name of the do-file):
>      local filename .\temp\OBSAN_Data
>      include
> in I have among lots of other stuff that is used for every do-file I write, the following line:
>      log using `filename', replace text
> I just want to get rid of the necessity to write the first line where I define the macro filename.

It's worth noting that you can achieve the same effect by executing your do-file from the command line.  For example,

    stata -b OBSAN_Data

will automatically generate the file OBSAN_Data.log, without having to do what you describe above.  If you're using Windows (which I presume from the backslashes), see [GSW] C.6 Stata batch mode for more info.

-- Phil