Re: st: Stata 11 crashing

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   "<[email protected]>" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Stata 11 crashing
Date   Sat, 2 Jul 2011 02:21:03 +0000

<>

Hi Daniel:
Again, tech support maybe the best bet here (or there's always re-installing Stata?).
It appears that the 2 characters you mention are ascii chars 130 and 204.    What font do you have your data editor set to (right-click or ctrl+click and select 'preferences' in the Stata data editor window to see the font used)?
The reason I ask is that I wonder if there are certain OSX fonts that don't include certain high-ascii chars for some reason?  Particularly if you have specialty fonts installed.  With Safari open:  press Command+Option+t it will open the Character palette.  In that application, change the view at the top right to "Roman" and drag either of the 2 misbehaving characters into the "character" box.  In the bottom box, you will see that it now identifies that font "collections" (e.g., arial, lucinda)  that contain the character as well as the name of the character and other information.    If it's not in the font you're using for the Stata results/editor/do-file windows, then try changing it to a font with that character in its "collection."

What happens when you add the chars to a cell with the generate/replace command?  e.g.,
**
clear
set obs 1
g var1 = "Ç, Ã"
g var2 = "`=char(130)' / `=char(204)'"
**

If it works, take a look at the chars via -charlist- (from SSC) and see if sees var1 and var2 as the same:
 charlist var1
 di "`r(ascii)'"
 charlist var2
 di "`r(ascii)'"

If this doesnt work, try changing fonts as described above and see if your outcome changes.

- Eric
__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute