Re: st: Extracting coefficients from xtmixed model

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Extracting coefficients from xtmixed model
Date   Wed, 29 Jun 2011 21:20:38 +0200

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:07 PM, Debs Majumdar wrote:
>    I have an unbalanced data set with 6 visits and the sample size goes down from around 900 at baseline to 480 at the last visit. I wanted to extract the estimate for visit from my longitudinal data. One of my fellow colleagues asked me to use
>    statsby , by(rid): regress dep_A visit,
>  which give me "_b_visit" in the output. First, Is this a good way to do this? I would rahter fit a mixef effects model.

That is not wrong, it will probably give you estimates that are more
variable than  you would get from a mixed effects model.

> I was thinking of the following model and extracting"_b_visit" for the participants. How does one do it in Stata?
> xtmixed dep_A visit bvol hcv whitmathyp ||rid:visit, cov(uns)

with -predict re*, re-, see -help xtmixed postestimation- and within
that helpfile go to the section on -predict-.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen