st: RE: Problem with "real" command

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: Problem with "real" command
Date   Wed, 29 Jun 2011 13:24:36 +0100

This is not a problem with the -real()- function at all. The problem lies in your use by default of a -float- variable type.

You need to use a more appropriate storage type, e.g. -double-, to avoid precision problems.

. gen double numven6=real("600010154088")

. format numven6 %18.0f

. l numven6 in 1

     |      numven6 |
  1. | 600010154088 |

-search precision- for many sources of further information.

Jérôme Fauconnier

When I  use the "real" function with large numbers, I have random results as  :

command :
gen numven6=real("600010154088")

i get the following result :

Have anybody had the same problem?