Re: st: fitting curves in regplot

From   Arti Pandey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: fitting curves in regplot
Date   Sat, 25 Jun 2011 18:21:58 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Nick. I meant Nick J. Cox, the author of the paper I have mentioned.
I am using regplot after -glm-. My question was can straight lines and smooth
hyperbolas be generated in -regplot- with -mspline-.
Arti

----- Original Message ----
From: Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Sun, June 26, 2011 12:53:02 AM
Subject: Re: st: fitting curves in regplot

Sorry, but I don't understand precisely what your question is. Note
that there are several Nicks active on the list.

-twoway mspline- is able to mimic straight lines, as a piecewise cubic
can be piecewise linear. Consider

. set obs 100
obs was 0, now 100

. gen x = _n

. gen y = 42 + 32 * x

. twoway line y x || mspline y x

Nick

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Arti Pandey <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello
> I am trying to fit curves after regression using glm. I am following Nick's
> various online documents, especially the paper "Speaking Stata: Graphing Model
> Diagnostics", The Stata Journal,2004, 4 No. 4, Pg 449-475". I am trying to get
> the fitted curves to look like those in the paper. Choosing "lowess" for
> plottype looks better but regplot doesnt allow us to play with bwidth.
>
> So my question is to Nick and anyone else who followed that paper, how can
> mspline give such a perfect curve there. For example. the curve fit by type
> shows perfect linear for one type, would mspline show that.

*
*  For searches and help try:
*  http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?searchhttp://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faqhttp://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/