Re: st: encountering problem with esttab while attempting to get summary statistics into latex

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: encountering problem with esttab while attempting to get summary statistics into latex
Date   Tue, 21 Jun 2011 14:03:43 +0200

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Ridhima Gupta wrote:
> Maarten I followed this example as it was more pertinent. See the
> second example.

The following adaptation of that example runs without problem in my
version of Stata.

*---------------------------- begin example --------------------------
cd c:/temp
sysuse auto, clear
eststo clear
bysort foreign: gen total = _N
label var total "Observations"

estpost tabstat price gear_ratio total, by(foreign) ///
        listwise s(mean sd) columns(statistics)
esttab using foo.tex, ///
       main(mean) aux(sd) ///
       nostar nodepvar unstack nomtitle nonumber noobs label ///
       addnotes("Note: Mean with standard deviation in parentheses.") ///
       title("Summary \label{tab:sum}") ///
       replace nonotes
*------------------------------- end example ------------------------------
(For more on examples I sent to the Statalist see:
http://www.maartenbuis.nl/example_faq )

Which version of -estout- are you running? A common problem occurs
when people install the version of some user written command from the
Stata Journal when there is a newer version available from SSC. The
main strength of the Stata Journal archive is that it makes the
results of articles in the Stata Journal reproducible, but it is
relatively slow as it is linked to the appearance schedule of the
journal. SSC is much quicker, but/because it is not linked to the
Stata Journal. This leads to different versions being available on the
Stata Journal archive and the SSC. It is up to you to choose the
latest one which is typically but not always the one on SSC. This is
why the Statalist FAQ askes you to specify where you got your user
written commands from. If we are talking about different versions,
than it is unlikely that we can solve your problem.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie