Re: st: finding incorrectly entered data

From   Phil Schumm <>
Subject   Re: st: finding incorrectly entered data
Date   Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:16:31 -0500

On Jun 15, 2011, at 3:04 PM, Michael Eisenberg wrote:
I have a list of several thousand patients with a lab test and days from the test recorded. I'd like to be able to analyze the days from test data as a continuous variable. Unfortunately, some of the data in the days from lab test are not numeric and have odd characters (e.g. ?, +-5, na, etc). See below. Thus, I cannot run any summary statistics on it.

I cannot manually look through all the data due to the number of men to find the nonnumeric data. Is there a way I can have stata somehow flag the rows with nonnumeric data?

    destring daysfromtest, gen(foo) force
    tab daysfromtest if mi(foo)

-- Phil