st: finding incorrectly entered data

From   Michael Eisenberg <>
Subject   st: finding incorrectly entered data
Date   Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:04:53 -0500

I have what I hope will be a simple question.

I have a list of several thousand patients with a lab test and days
from the test recorded.  I'd like to be able to analyze the days from
test data as a continuous variable.  Unfortunately, some of the data
in the days from lab test are not numeric and have odd characters
(e.g. ?, +-5, na, etc).  See below.  Thus, I cannot run any summary
statistics on it.

I cannot manually look through all the data due to the number of men
to find the nonnumeric data.  Is there a way I can have stata somehow
flag the rows with nonnumeric data?

Thank you in advance.

id    test   daysfromtest
1     41          2