Re: st: Autocorrelation(testparm or wntstmvq?)

From   Robson Glasscock <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Autocorrelation(testparm or wntstmvq?)
Date   Sat, 11 Jun 2011 16:59:26 -0400

Hi Katia,
The model you estimated attempts to explain current variation in your
dependent variable (rt) using 4 lags of rt. The regression output
tells you the impact/significance of each individual lag (l.rt- l4rt)
on the current value of rt. The testparm command you wrote uses a Wald
test to test the null hypothesis that beta l.rt= beta l2.rt= beta
l3.rt= beta l4.rt= 0. Note that in your model you don't need to use
the testparm command to test that all of your parameters are jointly
equal to zero because the standard output already gives this to you in
the form of the overall F/LR test in the upper right-hand corner of
the output.

Testing for autocorrelation in residuals of time-series models is
different. The presence of autocorrelation in the residuals of our
"best" model tells us that we haven't modeled the process perfectly.
There is still some systematic variation in the error terms, but
knowing that autocorrelation exists via the test still won't tell us
what, exactly, the autocorrelation is caused by.

best,
Robson Glasscock