RE: st: Handling pharmacy data with multiple entries per subject

From   "Doernberg, Sarah" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Handling pharmacy data with multiple entries per subject
Date   Fri, 10 Jun 2011 15:05:23 -0700

Hi all:

Thank you for your responses. I'm attempting to be more specific about my question below. My data is currently formatted as follows (with an example entry):

ID     drug_name     start_date      stop_date        outcome
1       ceftriaxone      5/15/2001     5/17/2001       5/31/2001
1       ceftriaxone      5/19/2001     5/20/2001       5/31/2001
1       ceftriaxone      5/20/2001    5/24/2001        5/31/2001
1       ceftriaxone      7/24/2001     7/27/2001       .
This one person had 3 prescriptions for ceftriaxone during a hospitalization in May, 2001, including one day where the person was not given this drug (5/15-5/17 and 5/19-5/24). There was another hospitalization in July, 2001, where another prescription was given. The patient did not experience the outcome during the second hospitalization. The dataset only contains information about two different drugs.

My ultimate goal is to figure out the number of days each person received each drug during a 30-day period from the first day of receipt or before the date of the outcome (if <30 days from the start of antibiotic) to allow for a logistic regression with exposure = antibiotic days. In addition, I may also do a survival analysis using start of antibiotic as the start date, development of the outcome as failure, and censoring at 30 days in those without the outcome.

I hope that helps to clarify things. Thank you for your advice.

Best,

Sarah