Re: st: Scaling of variables

From   "Achmed Aldai" <>
Subject   Re: st: Scaling of variables
Date   Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:05:33 +0200

Hi Maarten

sorry I have to ask again about the loops:
What would be my lname and do I use in or of list? I have like 30 variables that have to be scaled by at.
If I use of what would be the name of my varlist or can I just set a random name for that?

Concerning the macros, I would do it with ds [varlist], I guess the name from above and then say var/at?

Thanks a lot for your help

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 09:21:34,
> Von: Maarten Buis <>
> Betreff: Re: st: Scaling of variables

> --- On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Achmed Aldai wrote:
> > I have to do an analysis with balance sheet data of several firms
> (gvkey) and want to scale some of the variables by total assets(at). E.g. total
> liablities, earnings, and so on. Is there a way that I can do this with one
> command and not do it for each variable since I have around 40 and that
> would take a lot of time. Still I dont have to scale all of them by total
> assets. The company (gvkey) and industry specifications for example should stay
> unchanged.
> You can loop over variables, see -help foreach-. The trick is than is
> to create a macro containing the appropriate variables, and feed that
> macro to -foreach-. For the creation of that macro I often use -ds-.
> Hope this helps,
> Maarten
> --------------------------
> Maarten L. Buis