Re: st: Elimination of outliers

Subject   Re: st: Elimination of outliers
Date   Mon, 6 Jun 2011 10:45:44 -0400

Nick--
I think the advisability of trimming outliers depends on what is
meant; restricting a regression to a range of X (explanatory
variables) more plausibly free of measurement error by dropping cases
with extreme values can improve estimates, both by reducing bias due
to measurement error and providing much more accurate SEs; but doing
the same to the outcome y will typically introduce bias even where
there was none before--in general selecting on the outcome variable is
demonstrably a terrible idea.

If you want to restrict X, you can go variable by variable:

webuse mheart5, clear
loc X age bmi
foreach v of loc X {
_pctile `v', nq(100)
g byte lo_`v'=(`v'<r(r1)|`v'>r(r99))
}
egen ex=rowtotal(lo_*)
logit attack smokes age bmi hsgrad female if ex<1
sc bmi age || sc bmi age if ex<1, leg(lab(1 "Outlier"))

or you could do some kind of multivariate outlier detection:

webuse mheart5, clear
loc X age bmi
foreach v of loc X {
qui su `v'
g t_`v'=((`v'-r(mean))/r(sd))^2
}
egen d=rowtotal(t_*)
_pctile d, nq(100)
g byte ex=(d<r(r1)|d>r(r99))
logit attack smokes age bmi hsgrad female if ex<1
sc bmi age || sc bmi age if ex<1, leg(lab(1 "Outlier"))

Whatever path Achmed Aldai is pursuing, though, a simulation should be
done as a proof of concept IMHO.  There are no guarantees when it
comes to small sample properties using whatever strange-looking data
is at hand.