Re: st: browse in stata 11 - order of variables

From   Eric Booth <ebooth@ppri.tamu.edu>
To   "<statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>" <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: browse in stata 11 - order of variables
Date   Sun, 5 Jun 2011 21:52:58 +0000

On Jun 5, 2011, at 7:46 AM, daniel klein wrote:
> Also note, that -browse- (as well as -edit-) allowes a varlist. If you
> want to use the browser to look at tow variables, say var1 and var2,
> without reordering the dataset, you may simply type
> br var1 var2
> Best Daniel

But -browse- doesn't allow your to specify the order of the variables browsed without first re-ordering the varlist (in Stata 11) .  This was Sergiy's point in his question posed to StataCorp.  Markus Hahm mentions in the help file for -ebrowse- that:

   " ebrowse is almost identical to browse except that ebrowse orders the variables to be
    displayed by varlist. Currently, in Stata 11, browse does not order these variables.
    However, previous versions of Stata did, hence ebrowse is not necessary for these
    versions. "

I wasn't aware that Stata versions <10 allowed -browse- to order the variables (and I don't have a copy to test this on), but maybe this explains the contradictory advice in this thread -- it all depends on the version of Stata your using.

- Eric
__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute