st: RE: Series with two different base years

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Series with two different base years
Date   Fri, 3 Jun 2011 17:27:03 +0100

I am not clear what assumptions you are making. On the face of it you have an overlap for 1990-2003 and the key question is what you intend to do with the overlap because the two series for the overlap in practice might not be exactly proportional. Otherwise it's just arithmetic, is it not?

Barbara Engels

I have two series of expenditure, both in US-$, but with two different base years (for constant prices) and two different periods covered;
i.e.

1. 1980-2003, base year 1990;
2. 1990-2010, base year 2005;

I need both series to become one, with the base year being 2005 and the period covered 1980-2010;

is there any way to tell Stata to "rebase" my series, or any other way to get around this problem?

Any help is highly appreciated!