Re: st: Two stage least square estimation overidentified Sargan test

From   Austin Nichols <>
Subject   Re: st: Two stage least square estimation overidentified Sargan test
Date   Wed, 1 Jun 2011 11:44:21 -0400

Not linear transformations--nonlinear transformations.  Are you
referring perhaps to p 523 of
? Note that if you assume Z and e are independent, rather than simply
that Z and e are uncorrelated, you can use all manner of
transformations of Z as additional excluded instruments.  You can also
interact Z with any X that you consider exogenous.  In each case, the
overid test is a diagnostic of how reasonable your assumption was.  Be
careful of multiple testing and pretesting bias though--if you have a
lot of poor instruments, some are bound to pass an overid test and
give you really poor estimates.