Re: st: Stata crashes when loading a dataset

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   "<[email protected]>" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Stata crashes when loading a dataset
Date   Wed, 25 May 2011 15:43:44 +0000

<>

Hi Dan:
Can you provide an example of the foreign characters that caused it to crash?  I've never had issues with foreign chars in labels causing a crash, so I haven't been able to replicate the issue, but maybe I'm not trying the right foreign chars.  Below is an example that doesnt crash Stata, can you modify the labels to make it crash?
Secondly, does removing those foreign chars and re-saving and then re-opening the dataset solve the problem?  If not, I wonder if the program is related to something else structurally in the dataset (e.g., end of line char in the dataset , etc).
Finally, you could use -filefilter- to remove them before opening the file as in the example below instead of using the * in the -use- command.
***************!
clear
input var1 var2 str10(var3)
1 2 asdf
2 3 asdff
4 5 fffff
9 9 asd2
end

lab def forr 1 "test1" 2 "çé" 3 "other", modify
lab val var1 var2 forr

sa "for_data.dta", replace

u "for_data.dta", clear

**using filefilter to remove the chars:
clear
filefilter "for_data.dta" "for_data_fixed.dta", from( \141d ) to( "c" ) replace
filefilter "for_data_fixed.dta" "for_data_fixed2.dta", from( \142d ) to( "e" ) replace

u "for_data_fixed2.dta", clear

- Eric
__
Eric A. Booth