Re: st: svy subpop option and e(sample)

Subject   Re: st: svy subpop option and e(sample)
Date   Wed, 25 May 2011 10:10:11 -0500

At 06:20 PM 5/24/2011, Steven Samuels wrote:
Just to elaborate: with sub-populations, the ratio estimator of a mean with every sample member in numerator and denominator is necessary because the sample size of the subpopulation is random, not fixed. This extends to the regression estimators, as they are functions of means. If you had use an -if- qualifier to restrict the analysis to black==1, e(sample) would work as you expect; the estimates would be the same; but the standard errors would be different.

Steve
sjsamuels@gmail.com

As a sidelight, one of the things that has always bothered me about subpop is that you are apparently never supposed to create an extract from your data, e.g. you could have 100 million cases and only be interested in a subpopulation of 10,000, but you are nonetheless supposed to keep all 100 million cases in your data set so the standard errors are right. I always wonder how horrible it would be if you just made the extract or used -if- instead of subpop. If, say, the standard errors might be off by .01%, I suspect I could live with that.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam