Re: st: Responding to a Reviewer's Concern about an Ado

From   Joerg Luedicke <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Responding to a Reviewer's Concern about an Ado
Date   Thu, 19 May 2011 13:51:32 -0400

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Michael C. Morrison <[email protected]> wrote:
> A reviewer of a proposed publication of mine is questioning the use of a
> user-written program that I utilized in the analysis. I'm not sure if the
> reviewer is familiar with Stata and ados.
>
> This particular ado is the primary tool utilized in a Sage publication
> regarding the subject at hand (which I will point out to the editor and
> through him to the reviewer.) I'm wondering, how does one find the number of
> downloads of the ado through ssc. I know there are other ways that users can
> obtain ados but I suspect ssc downloads would give me a decent number of
> people using the program. Any other ideas would be appreciated. In advance.
> Thanks.

This is ridiculous. What would the reviewer have said if you did all
your analyses in R??? Reject the paper because analyses were carried
out in R? If the program you are using is thoroughly documented
somewhere, then a reference should be enough. You could also offer
sending along the source code so this reviewer can convince himself
that the program is doing what it is supposed to do :) .  As Maarten
already pointed out, the mere number of downloads will probably not
say much.

J.