Re: st: Calculation of cubic splines

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Calculation of cubic splines
Date   Thu, 19 May 2011 16:29:39 +0200

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Mikkel Brabrand <> wrote:
> But is predict not a post estimation command? How can I then use the same weights? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have spend a frustrating looooong time on this!

You estimate your model on your original dataset, than you open your
new dataset, create the splines, and predict. -predict- does not know
or care whether you use the same data that where used for estimating
the model. I make this sound as an convenient error in Stata, but it
is actually a feature. (Or it was an error that turned out to be so
useful that someone at StataCorp decided that "yeah, we meant to do
that". We'll never know...)

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie