st: read-only error message

From   Laura Gibbons <>
Subject   st: read-only error message
Date   Wed, 18 May 2011 13:57:09 -0700 (PDT)

On one of the Windows 7 computers I use, with Stata 11.2, I periodically get error messages of the sort

"file workedbefore.dta cannot be modified or erased; likely cause is read-only directory or file"

when running a long do file that generates files and overwrites them. Sometimes it will baulk at a .txt file, and other times at a .dta file, in 2 consecutive runs of the same program.

Nothing is write-protected.  The program runs fine most of the time.

If I delete all the files the program creates, and close and reopen Stata, I'm fine for a while.

I do not have a log file open, or a second Stata window, both of which are documented as problems in the archives.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Laura E. Gibbons, PhD
General Internal Medicine, University of Washington
Box 359780, Harborview Medical Center, 325 Ninth Ave, Seattle, WA 98104
phone: 206-744-1842, fax: 206-744-9917,
Office address: 401 Broadway, Suite 5076-V125