st: RE: reshape WDI from wide to long format

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   st: RE: reshape WDI from wide to long format
Date   Mon, 16 May 2011 17:01:44 +0100

I guess that the unnamed user-written commands fail because you typed the wrong syntax!!! What I suggest is that you type the right syntax in future.

More seriously, and in addition to Maarten's suggestions, this may help:

SJ-7-2  dm0031  . . . . . . . . .  Stata tip 45: Getting those data into shape
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . C. F. Baum and N. J. Cox
        Q2/07   SJ 7(2):268--271                                 (no commands)
        tip on applications of reshape and solving data
        management problems

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Sami Alameen

the data is list with the following column headers:

countryname countrycode seriesname seriescode y1960 ...... y2010

My question is how to plug these variables into the reshape command
Some of u will suggest using user written commands, they keep failing
no matter how many variables, countries, or years I drop.
So simply if Stata can do it with the  built in commands what is the
right syntax to use?