st: calculating AUROC when odds ratio cannot be defined

From   Ashwin Ananthakrishnan <>
Subject   st: calculating AUROC when odds ratio cannot be defined
Date   Mon, 16 May 2011 08:24:37 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to calculate the area under the ROC for a model where the outcome is
binary (disease 1 vs. disease 2) and the predictors are response rates at
various time points (also binary variables - for example, response at 2 months -
Y/N, response at 3 months - Y/N).

For the 3 month cut off point, all patients with disease 1 respond (100%) while
about 40% of those with disease 2 respond. Obviously, I can't calculate an odds
ratio for this time point. Is it possible to calculate an AUROC with disease 1
vs. disease 2 as the outcome of interest and response at 3 months as the
predictor variable? Or because there are no events in one of the 2x2 boxes, is
it that an AUROC cannot be calculated?