Re: st: -svy- commands with a pps sample vs. a simple random sample

Subject   Re: st: -svy- commands with a pps sample vs. a simple random sample
Date   Sat, 14 May 2011 02:04:11 -0500

-gsample- relies on -moremata- which is a black box. Doing PPS
properly is highly non-trivial; if Ben Jann did not utilize something
from Brewer's book, then God only knows what kind of properties his
procedure might have.

Nobody guarantees that you will have any gains in analytical models.
What your informative sampling does is changes the design measure for
your regression... if you know what I mean. In other words, you make
your explanatory variables heavier or lighter. The gains in precision,
however, can only come from making small residuals heavier and large
residuals lighter, which does not happen in your simulation (but would
happen if you had heteroskedasticity with variance increasing with x).
Instead, what you observe is a typical efficiency loss due to unequal
weights, with DEFF = 1 + CV of weights.

Brewer & Hanif (1983). Sampling with unequal probabilities. Lecture
Notes in Statistics, Springer.