st: pweight for households

From   Constance Kelly <>
Subject   st: pweight for households
Date   Fri, 13 May 2011 23:54:15 -0400

I'm using the Current Population Survey (March Supplement) for a project, and I need to derive an estimate of the number of households in the population. There is a household population weight built into the data. The problem is that the data is structured by person, with individual household identifier numbers, i.e.:

Person I.D.	|	Household I.D.
1			|		1
2			|		1
3			|		1
4			|		2
5			|		3
6			|		3

I know that if I reshape the data from long to wide, I can get the population household estimate, but I'm trying to figure out if there is a simper way to derive this value.
Any insight would be appreciated.

- Constance