st: Creating a new variable conditional on the values for 2 other variables

From   Hitesh Chandwani <chandwanihitesh@mail.utexas.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Creating a new variable conditional on the values for 2 other variables
Date   Mon, 9 May 2011 19:50:48 -0500

Dear Statalisters,

I am looking for a solution to the following problem.

I have 2 variables, A and B. I have values of A for all observations and values of B for some. A and B are both cost variables such that (B=A+extra cost). I need to generate a new variable C, such that C=B (for observations having a value for B), otherwise C=A

I'd be highly obliged if I get a solution to this problem.

Regards,
Hitesh S. Chandwani
chandwanihitesh@mail.utexas.edu