st: identification of particular string formats

From   Jamie Fagg <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: identification of particular string formats
Date   Thu, 05 May 2011 18:07:36 +0100

Dear Statalist,

Specification: Stata version 11.1, Windows XP

I have a list of postcodes. I'd like to be able to count ones which have a certain format. For example, from the following list, I'd like to know that there are 2 postcodes with only 3 characters, and 2 which have no central blank. A search of the archives hasn't helped, mainly because I feel I'm not searching correctly.

My question is therefore, for this specific example, how would I count and list the postcodes in question.

B30
B31
B30 1AH
B30 1NH
B30 1XB
B303RB
B312QH
B31 2QH
B31 5AX
B32 1NL
B32 1PL

Many thanks for your consideration,

Jamie

--
MRC Centre of Epidemiology for Child Health
UCL Institute of Child Health

Tel - 0207 905 2320