[no subject]

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Woolton Lee <> wrote:
> I have a program which creates descriptive statistics using tab1,
> summarize and other functions, stores the macros then posts them using
> postfile and creates tables that can be cut and pasted easily into a
> word document.
> This loop creates the variables mn and sd and rounds the result of the
> numbers I want to two decimal places then uses summarize to store
> these values into macros.  I wonder if there is another more efficient
> way to do this?

Yes, use the extended macro function -: display-, like in the example

*-------------- begin example -----------------------
sysuse auto, clear
ds , has(type numeric)
local vars2 `r(varlist)'

foreach v of local vars2 {
    sum `v'
    local m`v' : display %9.2f r(mean)
    local sd`v' : display %9.2f r(sd)

foreach v of local vars2 {
    di as txt "mean of `v' = " as result `m`v''
*-------------------- end example ----------------------

You can read more about extended macro functions by typing in
Stata -help extended_fcn- (I never remember the exact name, so
I always type -help macro- or -help local- and than click on the link
for extended macro functions).

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie