Re: st: nonlinear maximum likelihood with ml

From   Christopher Baum <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: nonlinear maximum likelihood with ml
Date   Tue, 3 May 2011 07:04:37 -0400

On May 3, 2011, at 2:33 AM, Tatyana wrote:

> Is there any way to use "ml" to estimate a non-linear equation? I'm
> trying to estimate the parameters of the distribution of an outcome
> (Y) assuming that Y follows a Beta distribution with parameters that
> depend on some X's. It's easy to write down the log likelihood
> function, but the equation for Y is non-linear.

Equations to be estimated with -ml- are almost always nonlinear: even in the case of using -ml- to estimate a linear regression. It can just as well estimate a nonlinear regression, or a model involving other distributions such as you suggest above. But before reinventing the wheel, check out the available 'canned' routines in this area, such as -betafit-, -betaprior-, -dagfit-, -gb2fit-, -gbgfit- from SSC, all of which show up with -findit beta-.

                              An Introduction to Stata Programming  |