Re: st: Left truncation in survival analysis

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Left truncation in survival analysis
Date   Fri, 29 Apr 2011 11:05:51 -0400

--

It would be interesting to know how these variant usages arise.

The earliest references I have about truncation is Sampford (1954). He  uses the word "truncated" if some event times fall outside the interval of observation, but he states that Hald (1952) used the word "censoring" to refer to cases when the numbers of "truncated" observations are known.  In Turnbull (1976) the distinction is clear, as it is in the text by Klein et al. (2003) The original meaning of truncation is that the analyst is aware of observations only if they are observed in certain intervals.   Thus if data are left-truncated, only those that survive past the truncation point are observed.  The failure times for these can then be interval-censored, left-censored, right-censored, or not censored at all.  I wonder how D'Addio and Ronsholm cope with the distinction.