st: Reshape problem

From   Richard Moverare <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: Reshape problem
Date   Fri, 29 Apr 2011 12:09:17 +0200

Dear all,

I have a dataset with a number of string variables, i.e.
stringvar1-stringvar12. These variables have values that represent
cities and in many cases they have missing values, i.e. blank strings.
Now, I would like to create just one variable that have all the values
of these variables stacked under eachother. I have a dataset with 1000
rows, so I would like a new dataset with 1000*12=12,000 rows and just
one variable. If the missing values are lost and I end up with fewer
rows, that would not be problem.

I assume I should use -reshape-, but I have tried by looking at the
different examples, but I can't find any working solution.

All help would be greatly appreciated.