st: Repeating values error in panel data

From   Martin Pszczola <>
Subject   st: Repeating values error in panel data
Date   Sat, 23 Apr 2011 00:56:14 -0500

    I have trade data for 10 years between 1995-2005. Each of those years repeat in the data set because there are numerous combinations of reporting countries and partner countries. In trying to xtset, I get an error saying that the panel cannot be set because of repeating years. Other than differencing to remove the time trend, how may I set up the panel in Stata without fundamentally changing the data set?  I have tried the suggestion posted by Cox in an earlier thread suggesting "egen panelid=group(var1 va2) but it seems to take Stata a long time to digest due to the size of the data. Any help will be appreciated. M