RE: st: question about hierarchical model

From   "Visintainer, Paul" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: question about hierarchical model
Date   Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:35:34 -0400

I think that's the approach I'll have to take. In this situation it won't make too much difference since the interest between the two measures is more or less correlational.

-paul

*********

Can the student evaluations be the dependent variable?

So is the performance measure predictive of student evaluations?

> I'm stumped on how to approach this model.
>
> Suppose I have 30 teachers each of whom have a single performance rating from the principle (or headmaster).  Each teacher has 20-30 students (not crossed) who have completed student evaluations.  The question is what is the association between performance ratings and student evaluations?
>
> What I'm confused about is that I have level-2 dependent variable with level-1 and level-2 predictors (e.g. teacher age and teacher gender)
>
> I thought that the following model might work:
>
> .xtmixed t_perform s_eval t_age t_sex || s_eval: , mle
>

> But I don't think this is correct model, because it regress Yi on Xij and Xi predictors?
>
> Can this problem be addressed using -xtmixed- or is a different approach required?
>
> Thanks for the advice.

Please view our annual report at http://baystatehealth.org/annualreport

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please reply to the sender immediately or by telephone at 413-794-0000 and destroy all copies of this communication and any attachments. For further information regarding Baystate Health's privacy policy, please visit our Internet site at http://baystatehealth.org.