st: Data preparation for Multilevel and Item Response Models

From   Christopher Sanford <>
Subject   st: Data preparation for Multilevel and Item Response Models
Date   Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:12:56 -0700 (PDT)

I am attempting to run a factor analysis for binary data and am requesting help
in preparing my data. Before running GLLAMM I know that I I need to do three

1. Create dummy variables for each of the test items
2. Stack the item responses
3. Reshape the data into long form

How do I create dummy variables for each item (not the responses)? I have
searched online and have only found examples of creating dummy variables for the
response categories.

I should be able to stack the responses and reshape the data using the help
feature in Stata.

Thank you for your help.

Christopher Sanford