st: RE: Assigning id's to other observations (after expanding)

From   "Fernando Rios Avila" <f.rios.a@gmail.com>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: Assigning id's to other observations (after expanding)
Date   Tue, 19 Apr 2011 13:44:57 -0400

Hi Marilyn,
I have an idea that might help you codding this particular issues.
Let me write it down in Steps, and hopefully that will be clear enough for
you to implement it
* im assuming file0 is the file where the data u show is.
1st identify id=parent id

Use File0, clear
Keep if id=parentid
Sort parentid
Save file1, replace

2nd identify merged firms
duplicate drops id parentid, force
keep id parentid
sort parentid
save file2, replace

3rd merge file 2 and file1
Use file2, clear
Merge parentid  using file1
Save File4, replace
This file should have the duplicated section u were aiming for.
4th merge both files

Use file0, clear
Append using file4

Hope this helps