Re: st: Pooling Data

From   Joerg Luedicke <>
Subject   Re: st: Pooling Data
Date   Thu, 14 Apr 2011 19:48:36 -0400

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Clive Nicholas
<> wrote:
> Dennis Kramer replied:
>> I am  attempting to compare the effectiveness of teachers in two
>> districts (based on a common evaluation tool) where the student test
>> scores outcomes are calculated differently. the first district
>> calculates the scores on a cumulative gain index standardized across a
>> number of factors and the other district uses a value-added index.
> I think I'll do my best impersonation of a David Greenberg posting and
> say that, to me, your problem appears to cry out for a multilevel
> modelling solution, perhaps via -gllamm-.

I do not know how a multilevel model would be of help here, besides
there only being 2 districts, which is not enough anyway. But first
and foremost, this seems to be a measurement problem. I do not know
anything about these two indices but if they are picking up different
stuff and one index cannot be translated into the other, I guess then
the data from the two districts cannot be combined.