Re: st: Renaming variables

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: Renaming variables
Date   Tue, 12 Apr 2011 09:29:15 +0100

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 8:59 AM, BAIJER Jan 212040 <> wrote:
> Hello Stata,
> I have a tab delimited text file that I would like to work on using Stata. This file has a header that I'd like to eliminate; line 9 of the file contains variable names, lines 10 and further contain the observations.
> I'd like to "transform" my datafile from within Stata, by dropping the first 8 lines, and renaming the variables correctly. There must be a smart way of doing this ?! I could not find out how to get rid of the generic variable names, and instruct Stata to use the information on a given (first) line of the file for variable names.
> Can you help me out ?!

You need to write a dictionary that defines the structure of the file
you wish to read and use -man infile2- for details and also [U] 21.2.5
If the dataset is formatted and the formatting is significant

“Truth in science can be defined as the working hypothesis best suited
to open the way to the next better one.” - Konrad Lorenz

Email -
Website -
Photos -