st: Renaming variables

From   BAIJER Jan 212040 <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Renaming variables
Date   Tue, 12 Apr 2011 07:59:06 +0000

Hello Stata,

I have a tab delimited text file that I would like to work on using Stata. This file has a header that I'd like to eliminate; line 9 of the file contains variable names, lines 10 and further contain the observations.

I'd like to "transform" my datafile from within Stata, by dropping the first 8 lines, and renaming the variables correctly. There must be a smart way of doing this ?! I could not find out how to get rid of the generic variable names, and instruct Stata to use the information on a given (first) line of the file for variable names.

Can you help me out ?!

Thank you very much,

Jan Baijer, Ph.D.
Director of Flow Cytometry