st: ST: logistic regression and 'adequate numbers'

From   Ronald McDowell <[email protected]>
Subject   st: ST: logistic regression and 'adequate numbers'
Date   Wed, 6 Apr 2011 07:54:04 +0000

I'm modelling the log odds of a binary outcome as function of several covariates including age. Unsurprisingly as my sample gets older I have fewer numbers samppled for each year of age, and was wondering if anyone had come across or used a 'rule of thumb' in terms of how many sampled per age was 'too few' to include in the model? I've read of studies restricted to certain ages because of 'inadequate numbers' but haven't found a definition of the latter.

I'm aware I can perform sensitivity analysis, look at residuals and the usual diagnostics (not all of which are available
in STATA in this case unfortunately), but if anyone had any thoughts on the matter I'd be interested.

Many thanks
Ron