st: Rename multiple variables

From   emanuele mazzini <>
Subject   st: Rename multiple variables
Date   Sat, 2 Apr 2011 14:12:47 +0200

Dear Stata users,
I have the following problem with renaming variables: I would like to
rename variables from v2 to v58 with only one name, which is year. I
know that I can use the renvars command, but if I type

renvars  v2-v58  \ year

I get the following error message:

lists of old and new varnames unequal in length

which obviously refers to the fact that I did not specified a new name
for all the variables. But the name would be the same for all of them,
so the question is the following:
is there a way to extend the command to all the variables I'm
interested in, without typing year 58 times?

Thank you very much in advance,