Re: st: svyset with raked weights

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: svyset with raked weights
Date   Tue, 8 Mar 2011 13:36:10 -0500

Fernando, you can safely use the raked weights only for statistics about the population as a whole, that is all three regions together. If the age and sex, occupation,  industry, and industry distributions are not the same in each region, then the raked weights might give biased results for estimates for  any single region.

You ascertain if this is a problem by estimating age/sex, occupation, and industry distributions in each region, with -svy: prop- . First  -svyset- with pweights equal to the design probability weights-assuming that they are among the variables in the data set.

If you can get region-specific age-sex, occupation, or industry proportions from a recent census, then you can rerake the original probability weights. To do this,  use - survwgt rake-, which is contain in Nick Winter's -svr- package (from SSC). An alternative is  John D'Souza's -calibrate-, also available from SSC.

If you don't have such external information, then I'd suggest just using the original design probability weights for your region-specific analyses.

Steve