Re: st: odbc connectivity

Subject   Re: st: odbc connectivity
Date   Mon, 24 Jan 2011 16:54:57 -0500

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 6:50 AM, Neil Shephard <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Abhimanyu Arora
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dear statalist
>> I would like to view and load an ODBC source (connected by SQL server)
>> into stata. Earlier, I had followed the necessary steps (control
>> panel->administrative tools->data sources (odbc)->relevent dialog
>> boxes) to successfully create the odbc source to be viewed.
>> The problem is that while stata lists the source (called HerculesDB),
>> it doesn't load the tables
>>
>> . odbc list
>>
>> Data Source Name                   Driver
>> MS Access Database                 Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)
>> Excel Files                        Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls, *.xlsx, *.xl
>> dBASE Files                        Microsoft Access dBASE Driver (*.dbf, *.ndx
>> HerculesDB                         SQL Server
>>
>> . odbc query "HerculesDB"
>> ODBC error; type -set debug on- and re-run command to see extended
>> error information
>> r(682);
>>
>> . set debug on
>>
>> . odbc query "HerculesDB"
>> Connection Parameters: DSN=HerculesDB;
>> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user
>> 'ECON\n09040'., SQLSTATE=28000
>> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user
>> 'ECON\n09040'.
>> r(682);
>>
>> The description of the error says that a "common cause is insufficient
>> permissions to connect to the data source". Having tried all options
>> nevertheless,
>
> Your code above doesn't appear to include the option that seems most pertinent.
>
> The error message is saying "Login failed for user 'ECON\n09040'".
>
> On your line where you attempt to query the database using -odbc- you
> do not appear to be specifying any ,-user() password()- options which
> may be the cause of the login failing.
>
>>  I would appreciate your alternative suggestions to solve
>> the problem..
>
> I'd try using the -user()- and -password()- options to -odbc- when
> attempting to connect.
>
> Neil

The above suggestion would not hurt, but Stata should pop-up the login
window if there is not enough
information to connect. In general you wouldn't store your password in
the do-file.

Make sure your login information is still current/valid and you can
access the database of interest
using other means.

Based on the SQLSTATE that you cite, see if the following will resolve
your problem:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqldataaccess/thread/36df4673-c3ec-4e30-bbdf-69a8690fd28b

Best, Sergiy Radyakin