Re: st: odbc connectivity

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: odbc connectivity
Date   Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:50:25 +0000

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Abhimanyu Arora
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear statalist
> I would like to view and load an ODBC source (connected by SQL server)
> into stata. Earlier, I had followed the necessary steps (control
> panel->administrative tools->data sources (odbc)->relevent dialog
> boxes) to successfully create the odbc source to be viewed.
> The problem is that while stata lists the source (called HerculesDB),
> it doesn't load the tables
>
> . odbc list
>
> Data Source Name                   Driver
> MS Access Database                 Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)
> Excel Files                        Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls, *.xlsx, *.xl
> dBASE Files                        Microsoft Access dBASE Driver (*.dbf, *.ndx
> HerculesDB                         SQL Server
>
> . odbc query "HerculesDB"
> ODBC error; type -set debug on- and re-run command to see extended
> error information
> r(682);
>
> . set debug on
>
> . odbc query "HerculesDB"
> Connection Parameters: DSN=HerculesDB;
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user
> 'ECON\n09040'., SQLSTATE=28000
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user
> 'ECON\n09040'.
> r(682);
>
> The description of the error says that a "common cause is insufficient
> permissions to connect to the data source". Having tried all options
> nevertheless,

Your code above doesn't appear to include the option that seems most pertinent.

The error message is saying "Login failed for user 'ECON\n09040'".

On your line where you attempt to query the database using -odbc- you
do not appear to be specifying any ,-user() password()- options which
may be the cause of the login failing.

>  I would appreciate your alternative suggestions to solve
> the problem..

I'd try using the -user()- and -password()- options to -odbc- when
attempting to connect.

Neil

--
“Truth in science can be defined as the working hypothesis best suited
to open the way to the next better one.” - Konrad Lorenz

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://kimura.no-ip.org/