Re: st: Install ado Files on Mac (different from Windows PC?)

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Install ado Files on Mac (different from Windows PC?)
Date   Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:44:00 +0000

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Ronan Conroy <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 12 Jan 2011, at 08:52, Neil Shephard wrote:
>
>> What are the permissions on the files?
>
> You can see the ownership and permissions for the folder containing the do-files by using the Finder's "Get Info (Command-I)" command. You can reset the permissions by clicking the lock icon and entering the administrator password. Remember to reset the permissions for enclosed folders too.

Thanks Ronan, I don't actually have access to a Mac (or even ever used
one!) so could only provide the UNIX equivalent.

> I would advise against running Unix commands unless you know what you are doing. They offer the sort of power with which great responsibility ought to come as a requirement.

True to an extent, but that is why UNIX systems have  'root' account
(and limited access to commands reserved for root by users via the
'sudo' command, e.g. NEVER run 'rm -rf /' as root because it wipes
your entire install partitions).  Doing these things as a normal user
shouldn't mess up your system, and what I described certainly won't
mess things up in such a manner that it can't be corrected.

Anyway, this is a bit of  tangent so I shall say no more.

Neil

--
"Our civilization would be pitifully immature without the intellectual
revolution led by Darwin" - Motoo Kimura, The Neutral Theory of

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://kimura.no-ip.org/