Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: st: 'margin' and marg. effects of second-order polynomials

From   Tirthankar Chakravarty <>
Subject   Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: st: 'margin' and marg. effects of second-order polynomials
Date   Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:49:17 -0800

I was puzzled by this:

"Please be so kind to stop being offensive."

for a while till I re-read my email, and realised that the sentence:

"[...], it is sometimes a good exercise to check these yourself"

might be taken to mean that I was implying that you had not read the
manual. That was not what I meant at all. I meant that you could
reconfirm Stata command calculations (and what it says in the manual)
by reconstructing them differently, as I do above. However, since not
wanting to give offense does not sometimes mean that offense is not
taken, I offer you my sincere apologies.

I am glad that you arrived at a solution for your Stata problem.

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Justina Fischer <> wrote:
> Tirthankar,
> some further exploration into my data (I am estimating an ordered probit,
> not a probit) revealed that I chose the values of my explanatory variables
> such that by coincidence facevalues of marginal effects appeared identical.
> Choosing differing values changed that picture. Hence, you are right, and I
> am very happy with the 'margins'-results.
> As aside: Of course I read the manual prior to experimenting with a new
> command - it is the feature of getting marginal effects rights for
> polynomials why I wanted to switch from using mfx. Please be so kind to stop
> being offensive.
> Justina

To every ω-consistent recursive class κ of formulae there correspond
recursive class signs r, such that neither v Gen r nor Neg(v Gen r)
belongs to Flg(κ) (where v is the free variable of r).