st: Person-year files, survival analysis, and sample weights

From   Raj Kapoor <>
Subject   st: Person-year files, survival analysis, and sample weights
Date   Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:00:48 -0500

I am using weighted survey data to estimate unadjusted hazards of
death using stptime. My sample comprises of a single baseline wave
that is linked with mortality follow-up data. For various purposes, I
created a person-year file using stsplit. Therefore, my data structure
comprises multiple episodes/records per subject. One reason I have
done this is that I would like to estimate age-specific death rates (I
created a time-varying variable for age).

My specific question is whether it is appropriate to use the survey
sample weights—w/o any adjustment—given that I now have multiple
records per individual?

Similar concerns often arise when estimating various continuous or
discrete time models after creating a person-year (person-time)
file--how should one deal with the sample weights?
So, any general guidance on this topic will also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!