RE: st: retaining numeric formatting when using -outsheet-

From   "Beede, David N" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: retaining numeric formatting when using -outsheet-
Date   Thu, 23 Dec 2010 10:32:35 -0500

Thank you, Neil.  I did as you suggested, and the numbers are not in the desired format:
v1,v2
21,27649503232
0,0
48,213393129472
18,185502416896
So I don't know if this means I am doing something wrong in Stata.  I agree I could format in Excel, but I am trying (perhaps too hard!) to automate the process as much as possible.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Neil Shephard
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:25 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: retaining numeric formatting when using -outsheet-

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Beede, David N <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I know this topic has come up before, and the answer was to set the display format within Stata.  But even so, I am having problems with it.  I have done a lot of due diligence to try to find the answer but can't (I also tried using StatTransfer and -xmlsave- without success).  I want to avoid as much format-fussing in Excel as I can, but if I have to I guess I will. But if anyone has a quick fix, I would be grateful to know it.  Thanks.
>
> Here is a snippet of code:
>                recast double v*
>                format v* %20.0fc
>                format *
>                l v1 v2
>                outsheet v1 v2 using test.csv, replace comma
>
> Here is an excerpt from the Stata log corresponding to the snippet:
> variable name  display format
>  -----------------------------
>  v1             %20.0fc
>  v2             %20.0fc
>  -----------------------------
>
>     +----------------------+
>     | v1                v2 |
>     |----------------------|
>  1. | 21    27,649,503,232 |
>  2. |  0                 0 |
>  3. | 48   213,393,129,472 |
>  4. | 18   185,502,416,896 |
>     +----------------------+
> And here is what the Excel file looks like after using -outsheet-
> v1      v2
> 21      27649503232
> 0       0
> 48      2.13393E+11
> 18      1.85502E+11

This sounds more like an Excel issue.

To investigate open the CSV in a text-editor (NOT Excel or Word) and
look at the format of your strings.

My guess is that they will look as desired, which means its Excel that
is choosing to display "213,393,129,472" as "2.13393E+11" and so
forth.  I don't have a version of Excel with which to check this
(since I exclusively run Linux) but there are ways of formatting
columns in Excel (something like right-clicking the column and
selecting "Format cells" or similar) that should allow you to set the
display format as desired before then saving it as an Excel file (i.e.
with extensions .xls so that formatting will be retained).

Neil

--
"Our civilization would be pitifully immature without the intellectual
revolution led by Darwin" - Motoo Kimura, The Neutral Theory of

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://kimura-no-ip.org/